Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Marsh Valley, Superstition Mtns, AZ overniter backpack trip

March 20-21, 2010 overnite backpacking trip into Marsh Valley, Superstition Mountains, AZ with my husband Andy and our dog Nuka Bay. We hiked in about 7-8 miles or so and found a great place to camp near the vicinity of Mt. Malapais in Marsh Valley. We set up camp around two o'clock and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening relaxing and exploring the area.

  Watercolor sketch session alongside LaBarge Creek just a few
steps from our camp.


The view directly in front of me.
 I believe this rocky mountain in front of me to be part of Malapais Mtn.


Purifying water from the creek near our camp




There has been a lot of rainfall this winter and the streambeds were full. The availability of water kept our packs light and offered some great reflections for my compositions as well. (The picture to the left was taken from our campsite.)





    My husband Andy, an experienced outdoorsman, has been frequenting this area for many years. He introduced me to the desert and the Superstition Mtns about four years ago shortly after we met.
As we near the end of March and head into spring the temperatures are climbing steadily. This will probably be our last trip into the Superstition Mtns. this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment